The Virtualization Engineer implements, analyzes and supports virtualization and storage technologies that power the iVenture hosted environment. This position will be located in our Jacksonville office and will provide engineering, design, and support services for VMware-based infrastructure, providing application server (VDI) and server virtualization of Microsoft Windows-based operating systems.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting mission-critical servers. This involves resolving day-to-day incidents, developing and maintaining documentation, performing vulnerability management processes including patching and server hardening, liaising with internal employees, and taking proactive measures to maximize server performance and availability. Also, the position requires the candidate to be iVenture’s SME for cloud and virtualization areas.
Please note: we are not a recruiter or placement service.
What you'll be doing:
- Implement and monitor the virtual server (VMWare) environment powering the iVenture hosted environment, including underlying host hardware
- Managed Orchestration software to be in self-service IT with Private & Public Cloud Infrastructure
- Monitor the virtual environment performance and resolve any issues before client or company impacting events occur. Make recommendation for necessary upgrades and expansion.
- Monitor and Manage the enterprise storage systems, including allocating new storage, resolving performance issues, and efficiently utilizing available storage
- Manage and expand the virtualization and storage monitoring toolsets (Veeam ONE, LogicMonitor, PRTG), and ensure good health. Respond to alerts and resolve issues quickly with the team.
- Perform Server Restores (BMR) from 3rd party backup products or SAN-based backups on the iVenture Cloud Infrastructure.
- Provision hosted environments for new clients, assist the client onboarding team with the onboarding of new client systems and connectivity.
- Manage projects and deliver desired results within set timeframes
- Identify, evaluate and implement new technologies with the Director of Technology to improve the efficiency and lower cost.
- Produces, maintains and updates technical and training documentation
- Provide virtualization and storage-related support for iVenture network and employees
- Maintain Cloud hardware / software renewals
Perks of working here:
- Competitive salary
- iVenture pays for 60% of your health premiums and 100% of your dental and vision premiums
- We match 4% on your 401K
- Paid Time Off Benefits - 3 weeks for your first year, 4 weeks on your second year
- Free unlimited workouts at fitness studios
- Quarterly employee/family outings as well as monthly in office team events
- Fully equipped game room
- Mileage reimbursement
- Work/life balance with a focus on a 40 hour workweek
- Super cool technology – pre-release software, virtual lab, never a dull technology day
- iVenture is rated by its employees as a “Best Place to Work” and has a strong culture and exceptional core values
You are a great candidate if you have.....
- Bachelor’s Degree, business related field preferred, or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of technical experience in a 250+ user internal Windows environment
- Certifications (Nice to have in position):
- VMware VCAP-DCV (Design)
- AWS / Azure Certified Solutions Architect
- Currently holds VCP5-DCV, or VCP6-DCV
- 6+ years supporting windows server technologies and client/server applications in a virtual Windows -based environment. Specifics include:
- VMWare experience in a production VM environment (preferred 100-200+ VMs)
- Experience with enterprise-class storage (Nimble preferred)
- Experience with enterprise server systems (Dell M1000e / Dell Enterprise Servers)
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server
- Solid understanding of fundamental Virtual Infrastructure Hosting components: Memory contention, swapping, and over commitment, CPU Ready and Co-Stop, Virtual Disk provisioning types such as thick provisioning versus thin provisioning.
- Solid understanding of fundamental hardware concepts: disk, memory, CPU, NIC, HBA, firmware, RAID, disk alignment, performance concepts (I/O, paging, swapping, system calls), iSCSI, Fibre Channel, Ethernet
- Hands on experience with VMware vSphere (ESXi, vCenter, vMotion, DRS, vCloud, VUM, and additional virtualization technologies and concepts)
- Familiarity with virtualization backup products (Veeam / StorageCraft BMR)
- Familiarity with VMware Monitoring (vRops)
- Familiarity with running workloads in Public Clouds (Azure preferred)
- LAN/WAN technologies and related equipment (switches, routers, etc.)
- Flexibility to accommodate after-hours and weekend client and team member needs
- Willing to provide on-call and after-hours support as required
- Valid driver’s license and insurance with reliable transportation. This position will require frequent travel (mostly local but some in state travel will also be needed)
- Applicant selected will be subject to a criminal, employment, credit and motor vehicle background check
- Drug-free and non-smoker. Smoking is prohibited at all client sites and iVenture offices